I am on a mission... to create, to inspire, to learn, to educate, to save, to grow, to be better... Join me :)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Potato soup... mmmmm... (First published 2/12/2012)

We love Potato soup! Or is this a chowder? I really do not know . All I know is It's good :)
I think this is a good basic recipe that can take on many flavors depending what your family likes. I made this a 2 weeks ago and think it may be in order today as well since it's easy, I have all the ingredients, it's super cold here and we have been a bit under the weather so need something simple but yummy.
Pictures were a bit spotty on this one. I love to take food pictures but I am so used to just moving along or doing 3 other things at the same time so I forget sometimes. I know it's hard to believe but it's true :)  
I hope you like it too!
Potato soup
4-5 small potatoes peeled & quartered
2 carrots peeled and chopped fine (a food chopper helps a lot here)
1 ½  cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
1 cup milk
½ to 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules to taste
½ small onion diced fine
1 tbsp butter
1 clove of garlic pressed or diced fine
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ - ½ cup shredded cheddar, or colby or Jack cheese whatever you like
Optional… you could easily add any of these that you like and have on hand!
Diced cooked ham
diced cooked chicken or turkey
crumbled bacon
leftover rice or Quinoa
Diced green onion tops
Steamed Brocoli
Corn
...please ignore the ugly green striped walpaper behind my cooktop. Someday it will be tile but untill then just don't look.Thank you :)
Put peeled & quartered potatoes into a 4Qt saucepan.  Add stock and diced carrots. Bring to a boil and cook covered until potatoes are fork tender.
Meanwhile melt butter in a small sauté pan, add diced onions, cook onions until they are translucent, add garlic sauté for 30 seconds or so or until the garlic is fragrant.  Add to potato mixture.
Hmmm my garlic press is starting to look a bit rough... It is well loved!
Add milk to potato mixture along with salt and pepper to taste (for us 4-5 turns on the S&P grinder is good). 
 If you need a bit more flavor add some chicken bouillon granules or herbs of your choice (start with ½ a teaspoon). 
Just before serving use a wooden spoon or potato masher lightly smash the potatoes to your desired consistency. If you like big chunks that is just fine.  If you mash the potatoes a lot the soup will get very thick which is OK if you like it that way (we do). You can add some water or stock to thin the soup if you need to.
Add a bit of the shredded cheese just before serving, then add a bit to each person’s bowl if they like.
Add any of the optional ingredients anytime after the initial cooking of the potatoes. You could also use ham, bacon, broccoli etc as toppings or serve as a “toppings bar”
My family really liked this but wished I had added some bacon. What can I say , they are carnivores…
I served it with homemade corn bread. Biscuits or a fresh loaf of bread would be nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment