I am on a mission... to create, to inspire, to learn, to educate, to save, to grow, to be better... Join me :)

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cream cheese coffee cake and the Putz factor...

I ran across this coffee cake recipe on my favorite recipe site this morning when I was looking for something to make for my family. I originally wanted to make french toast but I was low on eggs and milk so off I went looking for something else...

Here is a link to the original recipe... polish cream cheese coffee cake

This is really good! My family loved it but I will not make it often because its a bit Putzy to make.

That being said I'm starting something new here at Back to Basics Mom... The Putz factor. What is the Putz factor you may ask? Well whenever a recipe takes a long time, uses lots of tools and dishes to make and is messy thats Putzy. I will have a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being not bad and 5, be prepared to be in the kitchen a while and it will look like your kitchen exploded when you are done. From here on out all recipes I post will have a putz factor rating :)

Here is my printable version with my changes cream cheese coffee cake

Putz factor 4 out of 5   (this was the first time I made this so there was a learning curve. I'm guessing next time it will be closer to a 3 but still takes time and makes many dirty dishes!)

My tips step by step:

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Filling:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese,
softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Directions

First let me say that I got all 3 of my mixtures mixed and ready before I began assembly and that is what I recommend.
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. (I used butter)
2. Beat 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 egg in a bowl until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla extract; mix well. Stir in 3 cups flour, baking soda, and baking powder until mixture comes together in a sticky dough. Spread half the dough evenly into prepared baking dish. This is where this gets tricky! This dough is sticky! I would drop the dough by spoonfuls to mostly cover the bottom (still only using half the dough or just a tad bit more) Then I used a piece of parchment paper to cover the dough and then either using your fingers or a small dough roller smooth out the dough so it covers the bottom of the pan. Remove the Parchment!
3. Beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1 egg in another bowl until smooth. Spoon mixture into baking dish over dough. Drop remaining half of dough by spoonfuls over cream cheese mixture.
4. Mix brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/4 cup butter and cinnamon in a bowl until mixture resembles a coarse crumble; sprinkle over dough. I tried to fill in any open spaces and make it as even as possible.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until the center looks set and top is golden brown about 30-40 minutes.






YUM!

I served this with bacon and some fresh fruit to round it out. This is definitely a decadent breakfast and would be a winner at any breakfast or brunch get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment